Mold in Attics in Vancouver homes is much more common than you think. Because the attic is out of site and not a living space, we typically do not think to check what is going on up there. In most cases, it is not brought to your attention until you decide to sell the property and a home inspection is performed. Home inspectors are involving themselves in more and more training and are more knowledgeable in determining which areas possibly have mold. This can be an unexpected expense and in worst case scenario, may cause you to lose the sale of your home. Vancouver homes especially are exposed to lots of moisture and need extra attention in the attics. We have put together some great information on how to identify mold in attics, prevent mold growth in attics and proper mold removal in attics.
Characteristics of Mold in Attics
As mentioned, your attic is not something you think about on a daily basis, but it should be checked on at least twice a year. Not only to look for mold growth, but to ensure your insulation is sufficient and up to code and make sure there are no critters making a home up there. In most cases, your attic hatch is located in a bedroom closet or a hallway on the main/top floor. If you do not have an attic hatch, it is highly suggested to get one made to make sure everything is okay up there.
If you look in the attic and notice black on the sheathing or trusses, then there is a good chance that is mold growth. You can do testing in the attic if you wish, but it is not mandatory as it is not a living space.
Causes of Mold in Attics
There are a few different sources to mold growth in attics, all which relate to causing condensation and moisture in the attic;
- Insufficient Ventilation: attics need proper air intake and outtake; it is important to have enough ventilation through the soffits to bring air into that attic, and sufficient roof jacks to take the air out of the attic. This ensures that the attic space has proper air exchanges and can breathe.
- Lack of or too much insulation: hot air rises, therefore, if there is not enough insulation in the attic to keep the warm air in the home, then condensation will start. As soon as mold has a moist, humid place to live, it will start growing. If the attic has too much insulation, then the soffits may become blocked and not allow proper airflow into the attack.
- Roof Leaks / Roof Maintenance: if your roof is older and shingles are not fully in tacked, this will allow for water to get into the attic, again, giving mold prime location to grow.
You may contact an insulation company to come out and inspect the status of your attic or a roofer to ensure that the roof is in proper condition.
Proper Mold Remediation in Attics:
Canada’s Restoration Services is in and out of attics on a daily basis, whether it is performing inspections or performing mold remediation in Vancouver homes. As per the IICRC & Clean Trust Guidelines, all mold on organic material must be physically removed, and that is what we exactly do!
Here is the proper procedure for mold removal in attics;
- Contain the attic and attic hatch area.
- All furniture and floors that are in close proximity of the attic access are protected.
- Negative air is set in place to ensure multiple air exchanges throughout the process.
- All mold is physically removed by media blasting – ice blasting or soda blasting - the best proven method to remove mold in the attic.
- Fix the source, whether it be poor ventilation, improper insulation or roof damage.
- Remove and replace the insulation if needed.
- The final step is sealing the attic – the attic hatch needs to be properly installed and sealed.
Free Mold Inspection in Attics:
At Canada’s Restoration Services, we can guarantee that all of the above is performed and the mold is gone for good! We offer up to 25 year warranties on our mold removal in attic services. We also offer free, invasive inspections to determine if there is mold in the attic and what the source may be. We stand strong behind our motto;
“It’s not just what we do, it’s how we do it!”
You can visit our website to learn more about mold removal in Vancouver:
Call us today to book your free attic mold inspection 1-888-551-0514