All You Need to Know About Mold

By Canada Restoration Services
Edited by Admin
Back to Home
All You Need to Know About Mold
  

Why Would Mold Grow In My Home?

 

Mold is part of the natural environment and it is impossible to remove all spores from the air. Mold can actually be a good thing in the right environment. Outdoors, it is used for breaking down dead organic matter such as leaves or fallen trees. However, if elevated mold spores are present indoors, then there could be a problem. Mold reproduces by spores, which are invisible to the naked eye. They float around the air and when given the right wet surface, the spores latch on and produce what we can see, mold. If there is no openly wet surfaces, then the spores should not be a problem. If you experience water damage in your home, it needs to be dried within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. Install fans and dehumidifiers and remove any wet material affected. Disconnect any power or electronics that are nearby that could have been affected by the damage. When experiencing water damage in Toronto, it is always best to hire an experienced company that can get the situation dry and clean as quickly as possible!

Is Mold Bad For Me?

 

Mold affects everyone differently, some may have a severe reaction, where others are not affected by it. The day to day mold that we are exposed to is fine for us to breathe in. The issue lies when we are exposed to high levels of mold spores. Mold spores can produce allergens, which cause allergic reactions and irritants. In extreme cases, mold can cause severe health issues.

 

How ​Do I Know If I Have Mold?

 

Mold is not always visible to the naked eye. Mold spores float around the air and do not become visible until they have the right environment to grow. A common way to know if you have mold is a ‘musty’ or ‘earthy’ smell. This does not always mean you have mold, but it should be checked out to be 100% safe. If there is no visible mold, then an Air Quality Test needs to be done to identify if it is in the air. A sample is taken outside to understand what is in the environment, and additional samples are taken from inside in the areas of concern. If the inside samples are higher than the outside, then we know we have an issue. Air Quality testing needs to be performed by a certified company who has the proper equipment and knowledge/understanding of mold.

 

How Do I Get Rid of Mold?

 

It is always good to consult with a mold ​removal company before removing mold. Some mold may be cleaned up by yourself, but other mold must be dealt with by a certified mold remediation company. Common molds that you can clean up yourself are surface mold in the window sills, mold on the shower tiles or mold on the shower grout. Mold on fabrics and shoes can be cleaned off or washed. Mold that grows on organic material such as drywall, studs/framing, and plaster need to be physically removed. If the area is larger than 1 square foot, it is recommended to bring in a professional mold removal company. By removing these areas yourself, you can cause cross contamination throughout your home which can lead to a much bigger issue.

 

What Should I Do To Clean The Mold?

 

If you are cleaning surface mold yourself from either the windows, shower tiles or grout, or mold on concrete, one of the best solution is detergent and hot water. If mold is growing on organic material, do not use bleach as it can actually feed the mold and grow back. You can also purchase a product called “Concrobium” which is an antimicrobial. Once the area is saturated, you can scrub off with a brush and rinse the area clean. If you are ever concerned about your health when cleaning mold, it is best to speak with a certified mold removal company first. We can direct you in the right path to cleaning it yourself, or if it should be handled by a professional.

 

Canada’s Restoration Services teams and professionals are just a phone call away. With 24/7 staff, we are here to help you no matter the size of the situation. A representative will be able to diagnose the problem and steer you in the right direction.

Don’t wait, give us a call at 1-888-551-0514

8 comments
Level 1 (XP: 50)
Emergency Service Needed?
We arrive within 45 minutesCALL NOW! 24/7
1-888-551-0514
Level 7 (XP: 2650)
2 years ago
whoa...asbestos the silent killer. :s Definitely need to make sure I don't have any asbestos or mold in my house and if I do i need to look into having it removed.
Level 9 (XP: 3600)
2 years ago
@msmanek: I completely agree! Especially since it can kill if left unchecked!
Level 3 (XP: 650)
2 years ago
That is terrifying! We definitely need to be doing all we can to protect ourselves from mold and asbestos related illnesses
Admin
Canada Restoration Services
2 years ago
If you are exposed over long periods of time to either Mold or Asbestos, you can experience worsening health symptoms. Short term health symptoms of mold are :
- Stuffy nose
- coughing
- allergic reactions
- worsening asthma

Long term health symptoms of mold are:
- pulmonary fibrosis
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- immunologic disorders
- Neurotoxicity
- cancer

As for asbestos, there is no immediate signs when exposed to asbestos. The asbestos fibres will be trapped within your lower lung cavities and over time can result in:
- asbestosis
- cancers and mesothelioma

As you can see, the exposure of mold and asbestos can be quite serious so it is important to have a professional identify if you have a problem and hire a professional when cleaning or removing.
Level 7 (XP: 2900)
2 years ago
I heard that asbestos is a "slow killer", maybe that is a health concern?
Level 7 (XP: 3000)
2 years ago
What are some major health concerns that mold can cause?
Level 3 (XP: 900)
2 years ago
Great article - definitely eye-opening about how easily mold can grow. Mold removal services are definitely key if you have a mold problem!
LiveZilla Live Chat Software